Tearing my hair out

Don't be afraid to ask any questions pertaining to the 4 m band...

Re: Tearing my hair out

Postby MØXTA » Thu 14 Jul 2016, 21:07

M0TRJ wrote:I am having difficulty finding a single source of interference. M0GJL told me about an excellent spectrum analyzer which is showing lots of small spikes across all of 70mhz. I have the excellent AT588 but it does not show any signal strength leading me to believe that the noise is not in immediate vicinity. I have a yupiteru 7100 scanner with a 70mhz rubber duck antenna and cannot hear anything breaking the squelch.

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong would help.

Also with the AT588 if i leave the bandwidth at 25khz i hear no stations but when its at 12.5khz i can hear the local stations.

Ah,

So if you set the SQL (squelch) on the Anytone AT588 to 0, then you will see if there are any bars of noise (or not). I suffer with noise here but I can hear most stations.

I have 3 bars on the meter which is equivalent to S6 of noise.

just try this for me and get back to me, please.
MØXTA

Location and locator: Chigwell, Essex - JOØ1BO

Postby M0TRJ » Thu 14 Jul 2016, 21:51

Ok i get 3 bars on meter
M0TRJ

Postby MØXTA » Thu 14 Jul 2016, 22:20

M0TRJ wrote:Ok i get 3 bars on meter

Ok, that confirms you are getting noise. When I go portable somewhere with the radio and i also have one at my radio club. I get no bars of noise at all.

As I said before. don't let this put you off. Carry on using 4m. if you can, try to track the noise down.

I think VDSL signals from telephone cables or from Cable TV cause interference on 4m, 6m and HF too.
MØXTA

Location and locator: Chigwell, Essex - JOØ1BO

Postby M0TRJ » Sat 16 Jul 2016, 11:18

Selim thanks never thought of it before but went mobile with 588 and yes signal was 3 bars outside next door neighbours then 10 yards away no bars then further up street 3 bars so will attempt to go up and down road and see what happens in more detail and also in other parts of neighbourhood
M0TRJ

Previous

Return to Questions and answers